15 million. That’s how many apps have been downloaded to date from Apple’s App Store, in just three years. Like Apple’s iTunes, Apple’s App Store has completely changed the way digital media is distributed. “The App Store has grown to become the most exciting and successful software marketplace the world has ever seen,” Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, said in a recent Apple App Store statement.
Let’s break down the numbers:
- More than 425,000 apps are available for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
- There are more than 200 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users worldwide.
- More than 100,000 apps are built specifically for iPad.
- Apple takes 30 percent of all app sales; it paid developers more than $2.5 billion from app sales.
- Mobile gamers average 7.8 hours of game time a month.
- iPhone users game an average of 14.7 hours each month.
- Android gamers play on their devices around 9.3 hours per month.
(Sources: Apple Inc., Nielsen Ratings 2011 App Download Report)
Apple’s iPad is the top-selling tablet computer, making iOS the most popular tablet operating system. Google’s Android is the most popular operating system for smartphones. At Google’s I/O developer conference, Google claimed it had more than 200,000 apps in the Android Market – and more than 4.5 billion Google apps had been downloaded.
Get Your Game On
Games are by far the most popular mobile apps, followed by those for weather and then social networking, according to a recent mobile app study by Nielsen. If you’ve downloaded an app to your smartphone in the last month, you are in the 93 percentile of app users that are willing to pay for gaming apps. “Only 76 percent of app downloaders are willing to pay for news apps,” Nielsen said. Educational apps make up 11 percent of downloaded apps. The least popular apps? With only 6 percent of the download share: household or personal care apps.
Now is the perfect time to become an app developer. Learning app development could give you the skills to create the next Angry Birds. Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android development kits are available to anyone that wants to become an app developer. Not sure you can take on the SDK (Software Development Kit) yourself? Then get training through Apple Certified Training Centers or a digital media training center.
SIGN IN TO LEAVE A COMMENT -or- SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH OTHERS: