DMA Central

THE OFFICIAL COMMUNITY FOR DIGITAL MEDIA ACADEMY

Lifelong Learning through DMA

Good teachers know that more important than the subject area being taught is teaching students that they can learn. Students who know they can learn develop habits that make learning fun, which can lead to a lifelong passion for learning new things.

Teachers who know how to do this well also model lifelong learning. I was reminded of this recently when I talked to Kris Drake, a teacher in the Palm Springs Unified School District. Kris has taught for over thirty years, including four years of teaching web design using Dreamweaver at Cathedral City High School and twenty five years of using technology tools to support education. This June, Kris will be retiring from teaching, but in her words, “I guarantee I will continue to be a lifelong learner, even after I retire.”

Kris is planning to further her learning in her retirement by pursuing DMA’s Web Design and Production Certification Program. The certification program will require her to take four courses over the next few years. As Kris explains, “being DMA certified will be an asset to my future. It will enable me to advance my training, learn innovative procedures, and become proficient in web design.” When I asked Kris what her future includes, she mentioned the possibility of starting a web design business. Wow!

DMA for the retirement years — that is lifelong learning at its best!

[Bloglines] [del.icio.us] [Digg] [Facebook] [Furl] [Google] [LinkedIn] [Mixx] [MySpace] [Newsvine] [Propeller] [Reddit] [Squidoo] [StumbleUpon] [Twitter] [Email]
posted by Margaret Lim in News Blog and have No Comments

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name
Email
Website
Your comment