DMA Central

THE OFFICIAL COMMUNITY FOR DIGITAL MEDIA ACADEMY

Is George Lucas Retiring?

It’s the question that’s on the lips of sci-fi fans across the world: Will “Star Wars” creator George Lucas retire? The iconic director of such films as “American Graffiti” turned 68 on May 14th of this year.

George Lucas on the set of “Star Wars” in 1976. 

The answer is…yes, it appears Lucas will “force” himself into retirement.

Lucasfilm, the studio founded by George Lucas, announced on Friday that the “Star Wars” creator will “move forward with his retirement plans.” Officials with the studio say Mr. Lucas will continue to serve as CEO as as he transitions out; replacing Lucas will be longtime friend and veteran producer Kathleen Kennedy. Kennedy already serves as a co-chair on the Lucasfilm board.

Lucas said he selected Kennedy as his successor for a very simply reason, “she’s someone with great creative passion and proven leadership abilities, but also someone who loves movies.” Kennedy is also extremely talented and has spent years learning how to make movies.

Kathleen Kennedy served as an executive producer on “Back to the Future.”

Who is Kathleen Kennedy?
Kathleen Kennedy is a legendary film producer; she first broke into filmmaking as a production assistant to John Milius who was working with Steven Spielberg on the film “1941.” Later, Spielberg hired her as a secretary but wasn’t a very good typist. Spielberg kept her on because he liked her production ideas.

Kennedy went on to serve as co-producer for “Poltergeist,” then as a producer on “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” and a little film called “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” The rest, as they say, is history. Kennedy’s film credits as a producer or executive producer reads like a Greatest Films of All Time list: “Back to the Future,” “Who Framed Roger Rabbit,” “The Color Purple,” “Schindler’s List,” “Jurassic Park,” “Seabiscuit,” and the recent “War Horse,” just to name a few.

Currently part of the executive team at The Kennedy/Marshall Co., where she still continues to work with Spielberg to make blockbuster movies, Kennedy will step down to assume her new role at Lucasfilm.

The Future of the Force
It’s unknown if Lucas will serve in any capacity on future “Star Wars” projects. A live-action “Star Wars” television series is currently in development and the “Star Wars” franchise is a bazillion-dollar business. Which Lucas is notoriously picky about: “My movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.”

SIGN IN TO LEAVE A COMMENT -or- SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH OTHERS:

[Bloglines] [del.icio.us] [Digg] [Facebook] [Furl] [Google] [LinkedIn] [Mixx] [MySpace] [Newsvine] [Propeller] [Reddit] [Squidoo] [StumbleUpon] [Twitter] [Email]
posted by Vince Matthews in Digital Filmmaking,News Blog and have No Comments

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name
Email
Website
Your comment