DMA Central

THE OFFICIAL COMMUNITY FOR DIGITAL MEDIA ACADEMY

Learn How to Use Apple Logic Pro : Audio Recording and Editing

Written by Ben Hazen from the John Lennon Bus

Apple’s Logic Pro 8 is a really amazing and intuitive program for recording/arranging audio, and its great comping function is just one example why. This is especially effective with vocals since it can sometimes be difficult for a singer to hit every note and rhythmic value of the melody. With Logic Pro 8, the process has been made much easier on both the engineer and the artist. This also really helps to keep the vibe nice and mellow in the studio.

Start by recording a take of your vocalist. Don’t even start to stress about any mistakes that are made. When this is done, simply re-record over that take on the same track, concentrating on the sections that you think need to be re-done. Do this as many times as you like until you’re satisfied that the different sections from each take will add up to one great take. Now comes the real digital magic, my friends.

Learning and Teaching Logic Pro at Digital Media AcademyWith the pointer tool selected, click in the left corner of the track’s region to open the take folder, showing all recorded takes within the track. Then, click-drag over the desired section of each take. As you do this, notice that Logic automatically compiles or “comps” each highlighted section into the topmost region, complete with crossfades. Notice too that selecting one area of a take de-selects that same area in the other takes because only one take can play at a time for each section. Next, drag the end points of each section to fine-tune your selections.  When you have all the best sections chosen, click on the arrow in the top right of the take folder to Flatten or Flatten and Merge the comped sections. The Flatten option will turn your selections into a series of regions that are movable within the track. The Flatten and Merge option will create one new region that includes all the chosen sections. Now just push play and watch the surprise on your vocalist’s face as they listen to the “perfect take”.

You also can use this technique to get a killer whalin’ guitar solo, thumpin’ bass groove, or to nail a difficult passage for any instrument. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes. P-Schwaze from the B-Haze.

=)BHazen

[Bloglines] [del.icio.us] [Digg] [Facebook] [Furl] [Google] [LinkedIn] [Mixx] [MySpace] [Newsvine] [Propeller] [Reddit] [Squidoo] [StumbleUpon] [Twitter] [Email]
posted by Philip Harding in News Blog and have Comments (5)

5 Responses to “Learn How to Use Apple Logic Pro : Audio Recording and Editing”

1. Jeremy Bishops says:

How do I turn off or over-ride this ‘comping’ function on LogicPro?

2. Recording Questions says:

We love Apple’s Logic Pro…

If you and your customers interested in great audio recording information, check out http://recordingquestions.com

Thanks guys.

Recording Questions

3. tommy mundell says:

im having trouble recording a mix from my turntables in to logic. i dont know what to do. ive tried different inputs on logic and outputs from my motu soundcard? please help. thanks

4. (reply to Tommy Mundell)

********* email to Phil Gibson ************
    Hi Phil,

Can you please respond to this blog comment from Tommy Mundell on this post? http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/2009/05/learn-how-to-use-apple-logic-pro-audio-recording-and-editing/ There’s also another comment asking a question you might be able to field. If this isn’t your area of expertise, would you please forward this? Seamus or Tyler perhaps?

Here’s the comment… If you could reply to Tommy with a cc to me, I’ll post the answer(s) on the blog…

im having trouble recording a mix from my turntables in to logic. i dont know what to do. ive tried different inputs on logic and outputs from my motu soundcard? please help. thanks

Tommy – thanks for the comment on the blog, we’ll see if we can send your suggestions your way!

Penny
    the blog admin

5. Tyler says:

Hey Tommy,

In order to record a turntable into your audio interface you’ll need a Phono Preamp.

You plug the outputs of your turntable into the phono pre. Then take the outputs of the phono pre and plug those into the line inputs on your audio interface.

You then have to set your inputs on a stereo audio track in Logic to match where you plugged in your phono pre.

Here is a link to the phono pre I use for my turntable. It’s 50 bucks and works great.

http://bit.ly/c3oHpq

Hope this helps!

- Tyler Winick

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name
Email
Website
Your comment